British company Envirowad has unveiled a revolutionary new fibre wad material that is not only biodegradable, but also delivers significant performance gains over rival fibre products.
The wad essentially produces a tighter, more reliable seal under firing. This in turn promotes a more stable transfer of energy from charge to shot, which creates a more consistent, and thus predictable, muzzle velocity.
As a result, marksmen and markswomen can time their shots confidently and achieve greater accuracy, free from the problems often associated with traditional fibre wads, such as lag or clumping.
Envirowad formulates and produces the product in its own British paper mills from 100% recycled board. The proprietary formulation is unique to the company.
The technical team can vary wad formulations and physical profiles to fit virtually any manufacturer’s shotgun cartridge and match the desired ballistic characteristics.
The fibre itself is resilient and stable, enabling wads to be cut in production volumes to tolerances of five one hundredths of a millimetre. This creates an extremely accurate fit within the cartridge.
The material is also designed to obturate (‘squash’) very slightly under firing. This increases the seal still further and helps to reduce recoil.
Unlike its rivals, the Envirowad : xc has no plastic components or harmful chemicals to pollute the land or harm wildlife. It will breakdown totally within a few months to nourish the soil.
Higher performance in the field
Shotgun users will notice several advantages when they load cartridges with the new fibre wad inside.
- Greater moral fibre – enjoy the countryside without polluting it. The finished wad contains no plastic or bitumen and will rapidly biodegrade.
- More confident shot timing – muzzle velocity is far more consistent with the new fibre, thanks to a very stable transfer of energy from charge to shot. This removes the unpredictability often experienced with competing fibre products.
- Greater accuracy – the superior seal allows the shot to fly true to the target without destabilising clumping, spins or ‘confetti’.
- 25% more consistent muzzle velocity compared with rival fibre products (tests by Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House, March 2017)
- Over 60% more dimensionally accurate compared with current most commonly used fibre wad (Measurement Solutions, January 2018)